Wednesday, February 20, 2008

One mixed up, messed up life!


Good morning! My name is Charlotte and I am writing to help us give our first thoughts to the Lord. Isn't it amazing how God uses the foolish things (and people) of this world to astound the wise.

One person who stands out in my mind always is William Cowper who was beset with emotional problems throughout his life. His mother died when he was only six years old. He had a very domineering father. At school he was teased and ridiculed by the other children. When he got older and fell in love, his father would not allow him to marry the girl he loved.

He was forced to study law and panicked when he learned he had to take the bar exam before the House of Lords and tried to commit suicide. He was remanded to an insane asylum in 1764 after several suicide attempts and while in the institution he met Jesus though reading the Word.

He always felt guilty and unworthy of God's love. He loved to take long walks and when he recovered from his mental state, found he had a great sense of humor. He became great friends with John Newton who wrote "Amazing Grace" and who had a great influence on Cowper.

One time after coming back from a long walk with Newton, Cowper read in Genesis that "Enoch walked with God" and it inspired him to write these words:

"Oh for a closer walk with God, A calm and heav'nly frame.
A light to shine upon the road that leads me to the Lamb.

The dearest idol I have known, What e'er that idol be,
Help me to tear it from Thy throne and worship only Thee.

So shall my walk be close with God, calm and serene my frame;
So purer light shall mark the road that leads me to the Lamb."

One quote that Newton - the composer of Amazing Grace - is accredited with is "My memory is nearly gone, but I remember two things: that I am a great sinner, and that Christ is a great Savior!"

Newton was one of the mentor's in Cowper's life that set him on the right path to good mental health.

Cowper is most noted for this hymn:

"There is a fountain filled with blood drawn from Emmanual's veins,
and sinners, plunged beneath that flood lose all their guilty stains.
Lose all their guilty stains, lose all their guilty stains;
and sinners, plunged beneath that flood, lose all their guilty stains.

The dying thief rejoiced to see that fountain in his day;
and there may I, though vile as he, wash all my sins away.
Wash all my sins away, wash all my sins away;
and there may I, though vile as he, wash all my sins away.

E'er since, by faith, I saw the stream Thy flowing wounds supply,
Redeeming love has been my theme, and shall be till I die.
And shall be til I die, and shall be til I die;
Redeeming love has been my theme, and shall be till I die.

Then in a nobler, sweeter song, I'll sing Thy pow'r to save,
When this poor lisping, stammering tongue lies silent in the grave,
lies silent in the grave, lies silent in the grave,
When this poor lisping, stammering tongue lies silent in the grave."

Cowper would certainly be surprised that the work of 'this poor lisping, stammering tongue' has filled the mouths of millions who claim the blood of Jesus as their atonement.

William Cowper (1731-1800)

Your love, O Lord, reaches to the heavens, your faithfulness to the skies. Your righteousness is like the mighty mountains, your justice like the great deep. O Lord, you preserve both man and beast. How priceless is your unfailing love! Both high and low among men find refuge in the shadow of your wings.....For with you is the fountain of life; in your light we see light. Psalms 36:5-7,9

Thank you, Lord, for your redeeming love. Thank you that you can take one mixed up, messed up life and turn it around, set feet on solid ground and use that life to astound the wise. Thank you, Lord, for doing this in my life. In Jesus Name. Amen.

Have a wonderful, blessed day this day!

Charlotte

No comments: